Friday, October 5, 2012

Celebrate Little Victories

I've always been a believer in celebrating. If there is a reason to celebrate, I probably am doing so. Of course, you HAVE to celebrate the big holidays: Christmas, New Years, Halloween, etc. Then there are the other obvious celebrations: birthdays, anniversaries, promotions, new babies, weddings.

But those things have never been enough celebrating for me, so I've adopted the habit of celebrating little victories in my life. Sometimes the celebrating makes sense, like an idea of mine being well received at work, or getting a good grade on a homework assignment. But other times, it seems less logical. You can celebrate the last pair of shoes on the shelf being your size, or getting a parking spot in the front row. I've frequently started celebrating simply making it through the work week!

Photo from someecards

There are lots of ways to celebrate little victories. Some of my favorites are:
  • Going to my favorite bake shop and getting myself a cupcake on the way home from work
  • Taking a night off from school work
  • Ordering dessert at dinner
  • Buying a new little goodie (like a nail polish, lipstick, set of pens, or magazine)
I've found that by celebrating the little things, I am happier and cheerful. If you are constantly waiting around for the "typical" reasons to celebrate, you'll miss out on a lot of chances to celebrate small things that actually do mean a lot.

Photo from Pinterest

This habit has worked so well in my life that I want to start applying it to the lives of those close to me. For example, if my dad plays a really good golf game and he happens to mention it to me, I'll send him a little card. This is a really easy way to brighten up someone else's day!

Do you celebrate little victories, and how do you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment