Thursday, October 11, 2012

Power Songs

I believe that everyone has a power song. You know the one. That song you randomly start belting out in the shower, walking around your house, and even the middle of a store. This song doesn't require a music cue, the lyrics just come. And when they arrive and you start singing, you start to feel really happy for some unexplainable reason.

Your power song isn't necessary the "song of the moment," but it can be! I certainly would't consider Call Me Maybe in the running for my power song, but if it's yours then sing it with pride! Some power songs have special meaning or make you recall a memory, whereas others you have just latched onto because you love them!


I found myself singing my power song in the shower less than 30 minutes ago. I also have it set as my alarm to get me pumped up in the mornings. Singing this song just makes me feel more positive about whatever situation I'm currently experiencing.


So what is my power song? Don't laugh at me, it's terribly 80s. It's We Built This City by Starship.




I am absolutely in love with this song. The beat, the lyrics, the girl singing the high pitched "oooOOOoooOOOOO" in the middle, all of it. It's great for driving, cleaning, just about everything. It's always been my power song, but a few months ago some memories became attached to it when my friend and I played it over and over on vacation. I also freaked out when they used it in the Muppets movie!


Even though this song was once rated as the number one worst song of the 1980s, I will always love belting it out to brighten my mood. And that's what a power song is all about.


Do you have power songs, and what are they? Are they as embarrassingly horrible as mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment